Want A Shot In Entertainment? 10 Rules We Think You Should Follow
Few, if any, want to follow in the footsteps of those Hollywood agents and studio executive legends who “worked their way up from the mailroom.”
Starting from the bottom seems old-fashioned. Too slow and too blue-collar for many. Sadly and mistakenly, many want to leap from entry-level to an executive in a single bound. No two stories are the same, but here are a few rules that we think you should consider if you want a shot in entertainment.
- Love the industry.
- Pay your dues and pay your ______ (staff, vendors, bills).
- Stick around. Don’t give up too easily or too quickly.
- Keep your word and keep your head.
- Be liked and like others.
- Be kind to assistants. They remember.
- Don’t use people. Let others shine.
- Give credit to others.
- Be really good at one thing.
- Be tenacious, but with tempered ambition.
What else? Add your rules. We’d love to hear what you think.
©Aspiration Entertainment, 2020