20 Questions You Should Ask A Distributor … Before Signing Any Deal
We’ve all learned lessons the hard way. After the fact, armchair quarterbacking. “I wish”-ing ourselves into a vow to never do that again. Hindsight is 20/20, it’s said. We’ve compiled questions that we’ve asked, we’ve answered, and we’ve heard dozens tell us they’d wish they had asked but didn’t … for one reason or another.
We hope these questions will help you feel more prepared for any conversation with distributors.
- What’s the cap on marketing expenses?
- Does the marketing cap cover internal or external expenses?
- How often will you provide a sales report?
- When will I see your marketing and publicity plan?
- If we have agencies or individuals we recommend, can we include them in the campaign?
- May I see a sample marketing plan from a previous campaign?
- How much time will you spend on my film?
- How many films do you distribute a year?
- What’s the average length of time before your films start receiving revenue?
- Will you hire an outside publicist?
- Who is handling social media?
- How would you describe my film?
- Who do you identify as the film’s audience?
- Does your fee include fees from sub-distributors?
- What are your ideas for helping my film cut through the noise?
- Will I have a say in the creative, such as poster, trailer, title, and other decisions?
- Will you consider shortening the length of the term?
- How will we receive updates? How often will we have team calls?
- How much time is needed for marketing and distribution before a release?
- How involved do you expect me to be with the release of the film?
© Aspiration Entertainment, 2020